RoR 0.33, network!
The first network-able version of RoR is ready!
Apart from network, RoR 0.33 is pretty similar to 0.32, the only new feature being the new variable pressure tires (only the 6x6 DAF Paris-Dakar has it for the moment). Press the "[" and "]" keys to adjust the pressure (for non US keyboard, thats the two keys between "P" and "Enter").
About the network: you have to enable network mode into the configurator (Network tab). Click on the "Update" button to get the list of available servers. Then click on one of the server blue link. This will fill automatically the network parameters settings for you. Don't forget to choose an appropriate nickname. You are ready for network play.
Network mode is different from normal mode:
- You can not leave or change your truck
- There are no loads
- There are no truck-to-truck collision, nor locking (but we are working on that one)
- You can chat with others by pressing "Enter", typing your text, and pressing "Enter" again.
As this is the very first real world test of the network code, which is a quite tricky code, I think it is pretty reasonable to expect many stability and availability problems. We will debug servers as you play ;-)
About bandwidth, netmode requires a good DSL line, with, depending on the number of players :
- 4 players : at least 240kbit/s of download 60kbit/s of upload
- 8 players : at least 480kbit/s of download 60kbit/s of upload
- 16 players : at least 960kbit/s of download 60kbit/s of upload
So, I cross my fingers, I hope you will enjoy this version if the servers can keep up!
*edit* servers are currently very crash prone we are looking at the issue